Welcoming a new furry member to the family

Because I am a firm believer in practicing what I preach, I have decided to add another member to my immediate family. I don't have a picture of her yet, since she is a new guest at Satchel's Last Resort, but let me tell you her story and when I get a photo tomorrow, I will post it for everyone to see.
She was picked up as a stray, along with a male companion who they thought was her brother. Her owner was contacted but he stated he did not want them back because he didn't have the money to take care of them. I feel like he probably dumped them, which is why they were picked up by the county. She was very sweet but had a dislocated kneecap, which the county did not have the money to fix. (which is why the fundraiser SDA put on this weekend for medical was so important to the county's animals) She was scheduled for euthanasia but because she was so sweet, Satchel's was called to see if they could help.
She was taken from Animal Services to Satchel's vet, where her knee was rebuilt. According to the vet who performed the surgery, the knee was so damaged it would not stay in socket. He said there was no telling how many years she had suffered with it but now she limps and walks crooked. She is also estimated to be 6 years old.
So, once again I am adopting a dog. A not-so-perfect dog in some people's eyes, but she is a perfect example for me of why we do what we do. She is perfect in my eyes.
So we will introduce her to the household next Sunday. Buzz and the girls will learn to get along with her, and we will all live happily ever after.
I remember, many years ago when my parents and grandparents were still alive, my grandmother making the following statement to my mother about her dogs: "Jackie, when I die I have decided to come back as one of your dogs. They are so spoiled."
So Mom, here's to you. I hope I can give my dogs all the love you gave yours and maybe someone will say the same to me. It is what we do. Let's hope we can attract even more people to rescue animals. The animals make it all worth it.

Comments

Popular Posts