Economy hard on pets, too

I heard an interesting word phrase a couple of days ago: job snob. You see, I have watched the economy falter over the last three years and never, not one time, have I entertained the thought of giving up my dog. I was laid off 3 years ago this past September and like most of the unemployed people, I had bills and a mortgage along with a dog. After 25 years with the same company, I was let go. I have a college education, am well-read, am not scared of hard work and have not been unemployed since I became unemployed. I have worked for minimum wage, worked two jobs, had my cable and all the extras shut down, didn't purchase any clothes, no beauty shop or gym and 3 years later I have a job I love, although at half the salary, still have my house and my dog.
I know there are people who really are in dire straights. I have been there. I also know there are jobs available. They may not be the perfect job and the money may require you to take a part time job to supplement, but they are out there. Then you just keep looking until you can move up.
So you lost your house. Find another one. There are also rental homes and apartments which take pets. They may not have a full gym or swimming pool or be in a convenient area, but they are available.
I think I take exception to stories like this one because I believe we have become spoiled and have lost some of our can-do attitude. Pets are not that expensive to keep. Maybe the designer dog food has to go, but if you walk them twice a day (and clean up their poop), they take up very little space and are simply not that expensive. Giving up a pet is not like canceling your newspaper. You wouldn't think of giving up your kids, would you?
Before you send me scads of hate mail, think about what you read and you will realize I have been in the same boat you are in. The difference is I didn't give up my pet.

Comments

Popular Posts