Sandler continue to be a pleasure to work with


My newest project, Sandler, is a joy to work with. It is when I meet dogs like him, I am reminded that I am not getting any younger.
Ten years ago, I would work with several dogs like Sandler and think nothing of it. My energy level was on the high end and I seemed to function on a very high level with very little sleep. I had always been that way. If I slept, I would miss something, so four or five hours a night were about average.
Now, I would give anything to be able to sleep for 8 hours. I am ten years older and do not have the staying power I used to have.
So I will keep working with one project dog at a time. Sandler needs a younger person to help work out his boundless energy. He can play for hours without slowing down. The challenge is keeping his mind as busy as his body. You see, when you have a smart dog like Sandler, you must not only challenge them physically, but mentally as well. When dogs become bored, they get into trouble.
Last weekend we played soccer with a basketball on Saturday. He is a good soccer player and runs after the ball but on Sunday, the ball had become flat. This happens with frequency in a shelter. Dogs try and pick up big balls and their canines end up deflating the ball. When that happens, the dog is no longer interested in it. This held true for Sandler. He would not even attempt to play with the flat basketball. Today, before I go out to do some work with him, I must make a trip to Petsmart to try and buy a Jollyball, which although not indestructible, does last a tad longer than a regulation basketball. Humans aren't as hard on basketballs as dogs are.
I also received some hints on getting him comfortable doing the agility jumps and will be working on that today.
This will be on top of our regular play time and working in other areas of obedience.
I am trying to prepare Sandler to go to a new home. He is going to make someone an awesome pet but a word of advice: bring your energy.
If you are an active person who wants a dog to keep up with you, please think about giving Sandler a new home. Although he is happy at Satchel's, there is nothing like having your own family. You can contact them at comments@satchelslastresort.com and ask about this wonderful, young dog. Nothing would please us more than if you took him HOME for the holidays.

Comments

Popular Posts