Owner surrendered or stray: who dies first?

As a poster and crossposter of animals on the short list for euthanasia, I continue to read the comments: "Owner give up, time is limited" and I wondered why. If the owner surrendered the animal, why was it more apt to be on the short list than a stray.
So I began trying to find the answer. I have, although it doesn't ease my mind. When an owner surrenders an animal to a shelter, they are giving up ownership. The shelter, whether it is a private or public facility, can choose to do with the animal what it wants. It can kill it or put it on the adoption floor. Right then. Immediately.
When an animal comes in as a stray, the facility must hold it for 5 days in case the owner shows up and wants it back. So in reality, a stray has 5 days before execution but an owned dog has no days.
So for anyone who is debating giving up your dog, don't. Work out the problems. I can assure you they are not insurmountable. If they can't be worked out, open your eyes. Don't assume your dog/cat/bunny will be put up for adoption. At this point, the facility can do anything they want.
Just thought you should know the difference.

Comments

Popular Posts