They all count

A lot of things have been going on with me the past several weeks and I have been busy trying to juggle a new job, a new dog, and a new volunteer training opportunity. One of the habits I follow faithfully is reading a chapter in a book before I go to sleep. I have found myself falling asleep halfway down the first page and at the rate I am going, it will take me 6 months to finish a book which used to take me a week or so. That is how tired I have been.
One of the things I have heard quite frequently in my circle of friends was a person in the animal welfare making a statement about saving too many animals.
So my question to you readers is, do you agree with that? I always figured, in my mind anyway, they should all count. Every rescue animal which comes through the door at every shelter should count. They should matter to the people who are in charge of animal welfare. Even the most timid or aggressive, the most sickly or healthy, are living, breathing creatures and they should matter.
Now, that being said, I understand the aspect of humane euthanization. I know there are animals that are so sick, or so aggressive, the most humane answer is euthanasia. There are simply not enough homes in this country for all the unwanted pets or sanctuaries where the animal can live out the rest of their lives comfortably. It is a sad fact, but true.
In my mind though, they all still count. They matter. Telling someone who works in the animal welfare field they are trying to save too many animals is ludicrous. At least to me, but then I thought that was the reason we went into animal welfare to begin with. To save the animals.

Comments

Popular Posts