Owens Syndrome

All animal lovers have sad stories to tell about things which happened to dogs or cats who they knew. I received this story about Mable from a Beagle Babe who loves the breed and fosters for Tampa Bay Beagle Rescue. Mabel was one of her foster animals. This is Mable's story.
Mable 02/08/2008 I have to tell you that my beautiful Mable died yesterday; she was bleeding from the mouth last weekend, I took her to the vet on Monday; he thought she had gotten into rat poisoning (which seems improbable, there is no way rat poison would end up in my house), after vitamin K she did not get better so I took her to FVS Hospital; after blood tests they told me that Mable had Owens Syndrome (immune destruction of her red blood cells and platelets); after 2 transfusions, prednisone and an experimental drug treatment (vincristine ) and a lot of love, Mable was losing the blood almost as fast as it was given to her.
She died last night at 8:30, and took a part of my heart with her. Having said that, even if I had known last May I would only have 7 months with her I would still have adopted her, she brought so much to my life. God bless your organization! Sharon Tarbett, beagle-lover Shay Tarbett
There is an interesting paper here http://www.cloudnet.com/~jdickson/imhaitphandout.htm you can read and some dogs can recover.

Comments

Popular Posts