Dumping senior pets

As always, as everyone knows, I have a special place in my heart for senior animals. The reason for this is I believe after animals devote their life to you for 7, 8, or 10 years, they should not be dumped at a shelter or, what is the nicey term they use now, "re-homed" because you and your spouse split, or the kids grew up, or the many other excuses people use when then don't want their senior pet any longer.
These animals have loved you and been with you for their whole lives. They are then discarded like an old toaster, sometimes to be traded in on a younger model. Shelters witness this all the time. New puppy, senior goes. New kittens, seniors traded in so they won't hurt the new babies.
Many times it is done while the people are saying, "This is the best dog/cat/horse/bunny I ever owned. I hate to give it up. I Know you will find another good home for it."
What? The thought process involved here continues to baffle me. I can't imagine what these senior pets think.
Now, I understand there are always circumstances when a senior pet must be placed. Death of a caretaker comes to mind first. So then the animal not only loses the person they love the most, but also the only home they have ever known. It is sad, but it happens.
So when you try and use excuses around me about not having the time, or the kids don't play with them, or you and your significant other split up, don't expect any sympathy. Mine is all reserved for the animals.

Comments

Popular Posts