Having a really fun day

Some days can be real downers when you have to deal with rescue animals and humans. Emotionally you can run the gamut from extreme highs to extreme lows.
Today was not one of those kind of days. Today was a day which reaffirmed my belief there are many, many people who do not fall into the mode of some rescue workers for which their job is an 8-5, leave and go home and never think about the job again until the next time you go to work.
I had the pleasure of taking an unwanted dog from a good situation, to the best situation for him. Shelters are saving places for many dogs and cats. The problems lie, not so much with the shelters, but with the breed of dog being housed there. Several breeds do not do well in kennel situations. GSD's, Dobermans, Great Danes and Rottweilers are the main breeds but it can really be any dog.
The best thing for these breeds is to be able to get the animal in a rescue situation, with people who know and understand the breed they are dealing with. Right now many rescues are so overcrowded, there is simply no room, and the dog must remain in the only spot available to him.
I have some very good friends who run a Rottweiler rescue, so when I met Benson, I told his mom we could probably get him placed. His behavior was deteriorating, not to the point of being a bad dog, but you could tell he was not a happy camper when he had to be in his kennel.
Today was the road trip to take him to his new temporary home. All I had to do was call and tell my friends I needed them, and Benson found a spot.
The trip up was having him hunt for treats hidden in the cup holders, because he thought his place was in the human's laps. Driving while having a rotti with is butt in your face is not a particularly pleasant thing to try and do, and safety is always a factor, so his temporary mom played games in the back with him while I drove.
Traffic was light, the state troopers were out pulling over drivers and we had a nice trip up. Benson sprang out of the vehicle, let my friend walk him around, he went into an outdoor kennel to chill before the got him on a schedule. I am sure by tomorrow, he will be going everywhere with Walt. He will be taking obedience classes, he will be introduced to the house dogs, which include a beautiful female rotti named Leibchen and a young Boxer named Sarge. They will gauge his temperment with dogs and other creatures and after a time, hopefully will find him a new forever home.
Then I was taken out to a great lunch at a little tavern and drove home. It is a productive and fun day getting away and also doing what I love, which is helping animals. I am sure my Dad, who was a veteran, knows how much the day means to me. I am glad I got to share it with like minded people.

Comments

Popular Posts