Dog bites

Have you ever been bitten by a dog? Think back to when you were a kid. Were there dogs in your neighborhood who everyone knew and knew they would bite? Their yards normally had signs posted that said "BAD DOG."
We had dogs like that when I was growing up. I stayed away from those dogs because I knew if I had been bitten, my father would have said it was my fault. He probably would have been right, since the signs always said to keep out and I have been reading since I was 5.
One of the main things children need to be taught is not to run from a strange dog and stand still like a tree. Most are not taught to do that and run like crazy, screaming all the way with the dog right behind them. They are then bitten, hopefully not badly, and their parents sue the owner because the dog bit.
Jeremy, my son who is a grown man now, was bitten once by Ming, my mother's Pekinese. Every night before Jeremy went to bed, they played a game where Jeremy hid under the covers and Ming had to find him. One night the play was pretty escalated and Ming bit Jeremy on the cheek. It drew blood, but did no real damage and from that night on, there was no playing on the bed with the dog. Jeremy loves dogs but is not fond of small ones even today and would rather wrestle with one of the rotti's he grew up with than anything under 80 pounds. None of the rotti's, even Jasper who hated everyone, ever bit him.
I have been bitten 3 times in my life, which isn't a lot considering I work with dogs all the time. A lot of it is body language and watching the dog you are working with. Most of that is common sense, which isn't around a lot today, but should be.
The last time I was bitten wasn't my fault. Or at least, after going over the incident time and time again in my mind, I can't figure out why I was bitten. But I understand, and the dog won't be put in a position to bite me again. Maybe one day I will make friends with him and he will accept me. I don't know, maybe not.
Maybe he is simply a dog who has been so discarded and dumped he will never trust a human again. It happens.
Lucky for him he is in a place where he is safe and they understand animals so he won't be put in a compromising situation. Yeah, maybe it was my fault.

Comments

Popular Posts