Grabbing your heartstrings

Anyone who tells you they are immune to falling in love while working with rescued animals is lying. All you must do is talk to anyone involved and most have multiple animals. There are always ones who grab at your heartstrings and refuse to let go.
When I met Winter, a little over a month ago, he would run growling and barking at his kennel. Then he would run hide in his crate and peek out, just to see if you had left.
I do not know if the reason I liked him was because I have a nephew named Winter, who used to be a shy little boy, or if it is because he reminds me so much of another of my rescues who was named Bigfoot.
I decided he would be my next conquer. I needed to gain his trust, which I don't have yet. I did make a breakthrough with him and he took a treat from me. I also got to walk him a little ways, but the president of Satchel's was right by my side and after a few minutes, it was obvious he was much more comfortable with her than me. It will come though, this trust. It is just not something I want to push.
Winter was adopted from Manatee County Animal Services when he was just a pup. With his whole life ahead of him, he was returned at 1 year old, unsocialized and terrified. They worked with him to try and make him more adoptable, but after a year of trying, he ended up at Satchel's as his last hope.
I believe Winter is adoptable. In fact, I know he is adoptable. If I didn't already have two, I would adopt him. Which means as many like-minded people as there are in this area, someone else out there will also see the potential in this dog.
So now the journey begins. We must begin to work on getting Winter to see all humans are not bad. All experiences are not terrifying events. It will be slow, and sometimes I may get discouraged. I believe Winter can be a wonderful pet for someone. I just have to break down the barriers and find a family who will help work on keeping those barriers down. I will keep you posted.

Comments

Popular Posts