Update on Winter

I got to spend lots of time with one of my project dogs this week. We have been slowly working on his shy/scared with everything behavior. He has made wonderful strides in the past few weeks and today was no exception.
When I got to Satchel's this morning and went to greet the dogs, Winter came out of his crate with his head up and tail wagging. He let me put the leash on him by the gate and we went for our morning walk.
His head was up high and although crossing Clark Road is still a challenge, walked across the road with me to the church to welcome in sunrise. He balked a couple of times, once when a truck was stopped in the middle of the road with a loud radio and the guys was looking under the hood, and once walking by the retention pond when the bullfrogs were really loud.
We spent some time in the play yards and he let me brush him and leaned up against me for a hug and kiss. That in itself means the trust is building with him. It is still slow, easy going for right now.
Tomorrow it is chicken as a high value treat and we will work on vehicles a little more. We must get him over the fear of cars or at least the ability to get him in a car in order for him to make it to a new home.
I will keep you posted and you keep your fingers crossed.

Comments

Popular Posts