Dog wishes / human actions

When we have pets, we are all guilty of attaching things we think are important to the pets. I am as guilty as the next animal lover. What I think will make my dogs happy, may not be what makes them happy.
The perfect example in my house is my yard. When I purchased my home in Sarasota, I was coming from a beach house with a small lot. I had two big rottweilers and when I saw my house in Sarasota, the yard was almost a 1/2 acre. I fell in love immediately and thought what fun my dogs would have out in my big back yard since they had always had such a small yard before.
The truth is neither one of them spent a lot of time in the yard. They were much more contented to be laying on their beds in the house if I was in the house. If I was in the yard they would simply sniff for a few moments and then follow me around.
My dogs now are the same way. They go out when I first get home from work and right before bedtime, but other than that, they want to be with me or near me and what I am doing. Now, if it is a Saturday in July, the air is on, but I am doing outside work, they will follow me back and forth, back and forth all afternoon. In reality, I am sure they would much prefer sleeping the afternoon away on their bed in the air conditioning, but it is more important they be with me.
So the next time you think how much your dog/cat would enjoy something, make sure you look at it from their point of view. They want to be with their people. It really is that simple.

Comments

Popular Posts