Non-native species

Most of my blog features companion animals like cats, dogs and pocket pets. After the death of the 2 year old from a python last week, I thought I would write about non-native species.
This subject comes up every time something which is not native to the state I love does something horrific to a person or a companion animal.
I have discussed with numerous people the difference between alligators and pythons, but many people lump them in the same category, which is unfair to the native species.
Florida, along with Texas, has some of the most lax exotic species laws in this country. You can pretty much have anything you want on the premise of personal rights.
Unfortunately, this includes species which can have such an impact on the native critters, they become a problem.
The Sarasota Herald-Tribune has an excellent editoral in the paper about a new bill and the impact it would have on eradicating non-native species from my beloved state.
I have nothing against snakes, and in fact go out of my way to keep the native ones in my yard for rodent control. The difference is, the natives won't eat my dog, much less kill a child and they fall in the natural food chain of the state. Even the snakes I grew up learning to avoid, like water moccasins and rattlers have a place. I wouldn't own them as pets or think they should be allowed to be sold as one.

Comments

Popular Posts