Breeders and puppy mills

I have been having an ongoing conversation with an old friend who was looking for a second dog. He lives out west now and was searching high and low for a companion for his beagle. I urged him to scour all the shelters and adopt a shelter dog, but in the end, he got a dog from a breeder. After writing him of my dismay, I urged him to at least have her spayed, so no more puppies would come into the mix of homeless dogs. I feel I failed in not convincing him to find a shelter or rescue dog, but maybe can convince him to have her fixed.
Then I read where they busted another puppy mill in Florida and they may give the dogs back to the man if he complies with the law, which he has already broken.
The discouragement seems to come in waves. How can people continue to support these atrocious places where dogs are kept in small crates with no thought to their happiness, only the money they bring in?
PLEASE? I cannot stress enough the value of not supporting puppy mills and backyard breeders for the type of dog you want. Investigate the opportunities of shelters and rescues to find your new pet. Help me get the word out and let's not keep these places in business.

Comments

Popular Posts