Update on Winter

Winter, who is one of my project dogs at Satchel's is improving on a weekly basis. If you didn't know him at first, you probably wouldn't be able to see the improvement, but I can.
This weekend he made it walking across Clark Road, all the way down to the church and the big oak tree. There were moments when I didn't know if he would follow me, but his confidence is growing. Baby steps to be sure, but growing all the same.
When we arrived back at Satchel's, we walked round and round the cars. I opened my truck doors and then walked around it a couple of times. Then I slammed the doors with him right there but acted like nothing happened. That is the thing you see, you cannot coddle scared dogs but simply introduce things to them slowly and then act like it is a normal occurance.
This morning it was trying to coax him out of his crate while in his kennel. I used freshly baked chicken and it took a few minutes, but he couldn't resist that chicken. I don't believe he has ever stood outside his crate and eaten a treat for more than a couple of seconds. He is still scared, but is gaining confidence a little at a time.
.He is going to make someone a wonderful addition to their family. If you think he would be a good project for you to take on, please contact Satchel's at comments@satchelslastresort.com and ask Caroline about him. If you are loud or scream alot, he might not be the dog for you, but if you have a calm household and like to see a good dog overcome a lifetime of being shuttled back and forth from shelter to shelter, check him out. You won't regret it.

Comments

Popular Posts