Trying to save pitbulls

It seems no matter how much is written by experts in animal behavior, the struggle to save pitbulls is like fighting an uphill battle. Due to so much disinformation about the breed, so many unsavory humans who use the breed for unspeakable acts and the general public's uneducated status, I am reading more and more articles about Breed Specific Legislation, euthanization of pitbulls and/or pit mixes and generally the destruction of so many dogs it causes me to have a very heavy heart.
Having extra time on my hands this week due to my surgery, I was watching Animal Cops on Animal Planet which I don't get to do very often. On one particular episode, which was filmed with the Michigan Humane Society, it was stated they don't even attempt to adopt out pitbulls any longer. If they are brought in as a stray, as part of a criminal case or simply an owner give up, they are killed. Period. Just killed.
That an organization dedicated to the health and well being of animals can so calmly state this bothers me. I know Detroit has problems with dog fighting but so do many other areas, ours included. I know the economy is very bad in Detroit, as in other urban areas of the United States. But to be an organization charged with taking care of the animals, I cannot find it in my heart to understand why they chose to go this route.
As other rescue organizations are pulling their hair out trying to have adoptathons, training programs, educational programs and on and on, in my mind Detroit just gave up.
The argument has been made to me before that we should be keeping only the best of the breed. Well, anyone who understands genetics knows best doesn't always carry down through the genes. What makes one dog aggressive won't necessarily make another one aggressive. I personally know too many aggressive dogs who have no pit in them at all and too many nice pit bulls who would lick you to death.
I guess this just shows you we still have lots of work to do. I just hope we can do it before they try and wipe this breed off the planet. That seems to be what they are aiming for.

Comments

Popular Posts