The runaway dog

I use this column to brag about my dog. I have stated numerous times how perfect a dog Buzz is. He is well-mannered with humans and other dogs and the only thing I can find he does not like is cats.
He does not seem to want to spend too much time outside this time of year, but instead lays around in the air conditioning watching the neighborhood go by.
Until today. Today, after me getting too little sleep due to a new roof being installed, Buzz decided to push open the gate. The roofers did not close the gate properly and it did not catch. One medium-sized dog's nose could push it open with no difficulty.
So that is what Buzz decided to do. Push the gate open, with me standing right there, and take off through the neighborhood.
I ran inside, grabbed his leash and a piece of cheese (his favorite) and took off after him. Would he come to me? Nope. Did he pay any attention to me at all? Nope. He took off down my road like a bat out of hell and never even looked back.
He stopped at each mailbox to mark his spot, wagging his tail all the way. The horror of having him actually making it up by Swift or Bee Ridge was flashing through my mind as my neighbor came out and said, "come on, we will get to him in the jeep." She had watched his escape unfolding from her kitchen window.
As we rounded the corner, Buzz was about a block down, close to Bee Ridge Park. I jumped out of the jeep and offered him the cheese. He came right up to me wagging his tail, took the cheese and I slipped his collar over his head.
As we were walking back home, I asked him if he thought he had a grand adventure. He looked at me, wagged his tail and continued on home. I guess we all need a little streak of runaway in us occasionally. Just not the heart palpatations which go along with it.

Comments

Popular Posts