When you make a difference

I spend about 8 hours of my weekend working with shelter dogs. To me, that isn't enough and I wish I had more time to work with these animals and give them the mental stimulation and human socialization they all need.
To many people, 8 hours would be too much and can only spare an hour or two a week. Most volunteers work full time jobs, have families and other responsibilities which must be met before they can volunteer. This may increase or decrease, depending on their schedule.
I am lucky in my job has set hours. I have no human dependents at home and my two dogs are both seniors, so require very little in the way of my time. When I am home, they tend to sleep, which I can assume they do when I am not home.
I can assure you every minute you spend in a volunteer capacity makes a difference. Every dog you walk, cat you brush, dish you wash, or kennel you clean, it all matters. It matters to the people who are paid to do the job and it matters to the animals you are helping. Sometimes people forget to say thank you.
This is my thank you to all the volunteers who give so faithfully of their time and energy to help the homeless pets in this area. Many shelters and rescue groups could not exist with the volunteers and the animals would be the ones who would lose out. You do make a difference. Don't let anyone tell you your time is not appreciated.

Comments

Popular Posts