Each one is important

Given that we, as a country, kill millions of companion animals a year, I find it amazing when people ask why the issue of homeless pets dying bothers me. If they don't have a home, why should I care when one is killed?
There are a multitude of dogs who, if they could talk would tell you why it matters. The reason is because they are brought into this world with no regard to them as being a living, breathing, creature. They are mass produced by irresponsible people who are only concerned with making money, or thinking they are destroying an animal's personality by having it spayed or neutered. They believe they have the right to breed animals or I should say, let their animals breed over and over with no thought to what happens to the babies once they leave the mom and/or dad. Now, before you get on your high horse and say you are not one of those people, I would say to you, you may not be, but I bet you know someone who is. I also bet you won't say anything to them about their irresponsibility to the animal because of whatever reason.
I have watched 3 shelter dogs go home this week. Three young, alive, breathing dogs who came from somewhere and ended up in a shelter. Should I simply say to destroy these wonderful creatures is right, because when an irresponsible person dumped them, they don't deserve a chance.
How wrong you are. Each one is important and each one matters. Maybe not to the irresponsible among us, but to us who work with these animals, and care for these animals they matter. Please know for every one we can save, hundreds more are killed in Sarasota County each year. Please, have your pets spayed and neutered. Don't be part of the overpopulation problem, be part of the solution.

Comments

Popular Posts