The dog collars

Most people have "stuff" hanging from their rear view mirror. Hang tags, beads, garters, and other things make up the doodads which people want to keep.
I have two dog collars on my mirror. Most of my friends know the stories behind the collars and the dogs they belonged to, but some of the newer people in my life have no idea of the thought processes I go through each time I get in my truck to go some place.
For the uninitiated, here are the stories. So if you see a big white truck around Sarasota that has two collars, one florescent green and one blue, you will know which belonged to who and why they hang now and will always hang in my truck.
Florescent green and fresh as spring. Duke was the first dog who captured my heart and was then destroyed because he was "unadoptable". I had a hard time when they killed him and I still struggle with the decision to this day. I read something this morning which made a lot of sense. You can read the article here . In it the author discusses temperment testing. It makes a lot of sense to me.
Duke was adopted out a couple of times with no problems but the third time he growled at several family members and when returned to the shelter, was deemed too aggressive to be placed and was killed. Had I been better educated I probably could have argued a case better to work with him, but I was a novice at the time and was following the standard shelter line about protecting the public. In the end, he lost his life. He started me on the road to fight for better training and behavior programs to work with dogs who are borderline with behavior. It is a fight I still believe in to this day.

The blue collar belonged to a dog I inadvertantly sent to his death. Many people who know me and read this would argue and say it was not my fault, but if I had known then what I know now, he might still be alive.
Ray Ray was 90% blind. He could see shadows but nothing else. He lived in Ft. Myers at a shelter with no luck in finding a home. He was brought up to Sarasota because I felt he stood a better chance of getting adopted up here. He was a favorite of everyone but he would lunge and snap at shadows if he could not tell where the shadow was coming from. He played well with other dogs, loved to be brushed and was simply a great dog. One day he lunged at a staff member and connected with skin. The result was death for him. Because of stupid human error, he was killed and I will never forgive myself for his death. It was not an easy death and no one involved felt it was right but once again a dog lost his life because he was deemed a danger to society.
So the collars will always hang there to remind me. I hope I never have to add to the pile. I hope we, as responsible humans will get beyond the killing. As a teacher once wrote in my yearbook: Keep your feet on the ground, but never stop reaching for the stars. I am still grounded, but the stars are getting closer.

Comments

Popular Posts