Please dig a little deeper

Stories like this one: http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090815/ARTICLE/908151030/2055/NEWS?Title=Dog-shot-to-death-after-attacking-its-owner make me very sad. The reason is due to the wording of the dog's breed, which is, of course, going to be blown out of all proportion by the time it reaches outside our area and another pit bull labeled as needing to die.
If you actually read the article, you begin to see what might have really happened, although none of us was there so we will never really know. The story says they believe it was a domestic dispute happening when the dog attacked and when the wife could not restrain the dog, she shot him.
Having been around dogs my whole life, I know there was a reason that dog attacked his owner. Now, was the man hitting his wife and the dog was attempting to protect her? Could be. I have seen that happen before. Ask any police officer and they will tell you most times domestic abuse cases are the ones they don't want to go on. The wife will always defend the husband. Most times does not even want to press charges. If the dog felt his mistress was being threatened, it could have happened this way.
When I was a kid, long before you weren't supposed to spank kids, we had a dog named Blackie. He was a border collie mix and the sweetest, calmest dog you would ever want to meet. Until one of us kids was in trouble for something. If we were going to get a spanking, my father or mother would have to close the door to the bedroom to keep Blackie from getting in between them and us. He was simply protecting us. (Oh, how I wish he would have succeeded sometimes)
I am sorry the man was bitten. I am sorry the woman and man were fighting. I am horrified the dog was shot to death for being a dog and protecting a person he loved.

Comments

Popular Posts