Speaking of horses

I get a lot of email wanting me to join animal causes. Most of us who are in animal welfare are the same way. We come home to tons of mail from numerous groups who want our support. They may want money, or our signature on a petition, or donations and the list goes on and on. Some of us simply cannot get through all the mail or join everything we are ask to join and support.
With all of the horror of animal abuse in the world, I feel, although animals in the rest of the world need help, I must support the animals in this country, and this state for that matter, before I go expending my energy and time on Africa or Southeast Asia.
When you read a story like this one, about the slaughter of horses, some of them stolen, in Dade County, how can you not be angry at the abuse and want to throw your support behind this cause. To steal a horse and then butcher it for human consumption, in America, is disgusting to me.
To top that off, they can't see to catch the people doing it. The story goes on to explain that horse meat is a delicacy in some countries and the immigrants here will eat it. It goes for anywhere from $7 to $20 a pound. I also realize many cultures eat dogs and other animals which we consider pets.
So although I find the practice horrendous, I will concentrate my efforts on Florida and the pets who live here and leave the other countries alone for now. If we can't stop animal abuse and neglect in our own country, how do people expect a petition to stop other cultures?

Comments

Popular Posts