The simple joys of pets

I did something unusual for me today. I stayed home to clean house. I know, it is something that should be done every week, but I have never claimed to be Suzy Homemaker and at this stage in my life am not about to start.
So, I am sweeping my floors and cussing under my breath about the copius amounts of dog hair which seems to have accumlated since last night when I ran the vaccum and when I turned around, there stood Buzz, stuffed animal in his mouth, wagging his tail as if to say, "I am sorry Mom, you want to play toy with me?" So I busted out in a grin and we played chase the stuffed toy all over the house. Of course, this created even more dog hair to be swept but who cares.
I then proceeded out back to chop up the palm fronds which drop frequently when we have thunderstorms and here comes Gypsy, toddling along to the Plumbago bush, which she proceeded to decimate trying to scratch her back. So I called her over and gave her a good brushing outside (let's keep as much dog hair outside as in) and she shook all over, wagged her tail and gave me a moan.
Having to go in the garage to wash clothes is always a fun chore for me in the summer. With only one window, the temperature can be heart-stopping, but I never fail to have Buzz following right behind me, checking out the garage to make sure there are no critters hiding and wagging his tail until I finish loading or unloading. He then follows me back in the house. He doen't complain about the heat in the garage, or getting up from his nap to follow me. He is simply with me.
Now it is off to Publix for a short shopping trip but when I arrive back home, both dogs are waiting at the front door, tails wagging, and treating me like I had been gone forever. I have never had a significant other treat me with such adoration. Is that even possible?
So I sat here at the computer and thought I would drop a line and simply say to anyone reading this who doesn't have pets. Get yourself one. If you do have pets, take the time to spend with them and really enjoy them. You are their whole life. Make them a large part of yours.

Comments

Popular Posts