Update on Winter

You may not remember Winter. I spoke about him several weeks ago and he became my project dog. I was ask if he was adoptable, because of his fear and I replied I did.
I do believe Winter is adoptable and we have made great strides in just two weeks. When I first attempted to walk him he was very uncomfortable with me and I only had the leash for 5 minutes.
He still won't come to me while he is in the kennel, but will come out of his crate to take a treat and not bark at me.
Last week after a staff member leashed him for me, I took him on a walk. We made it to the front gate and he balked, but with a treat, came through the gate and I got him to walk to the end of the driveway.
Because of his fear of cars, I sat on the bumper of my truck and coaxed him closer with treats, just for a second or two and then walked him all around the cars.
After this short time, maybe 15 minutes, I put him back in his kennel.
This morning it was the same routine. I was determined would make it out the driveway and up the road to the stop sign. He walked fine through the gate and even to the end of the driveway. He balked a little, but I kept on walking and slowly made it to the stop sign. Success! He sniffed every bush and blade of grass and then the cyclists came up. I had him sit and I gave him a treat while they rode by and he wasn't too skittish.
Then we turned around, made our way back and ended up by the cars again. Once again I sat on my truck bumper for just a few minutes, then walked him around each of the vehicles and walked him back to his kennel.
Every week, it is a little more stimulus for him. He may never overcome his fear totally, but if he continues to make progress, I think the right home can be found for him. They will just need to love mutts of the hound/shepherd variety and be patient and willing to work with him. He would love his own house, but he also likes other dogs. He just plays very rough with them.
So keep reading and I will let you know of our ongoing progress.

Comments

Popular Posts