How to end your day

My job takes up a good portion of my day and my work with rescue animals eats up pretty much the rest of it. Sometimes I have a bad day at both, and sometimes when I am tired, I simply think I can't type another word, or speak another sentence about rescued animals because it isn't working. This can be a very emotional task and after reading email, after email of this cruelty humans inflict on pets, I have to shut down the rescue mode and simply chill.
I then find myself cruising the same sites, reading the same sad stories and find the hidden gem.
This happened to me while cruising through the pets section of craigslist, which makes me sad when I see all the people out there getting rid of their family members and happy when I see the stories about rescues.
The entry I saw yesterday had to do with a match I did several years ago with an aging chocolate labrador named Sammy. Sammy was in pretty bad shape with very bad skin, a senior and so sweet. A family came in to adopt a dog. They wanted an older dog and had a disabled child who the dog would be good with. This posting told me all I needed to know. Sammy had lived with them almost three years and had been the best dog ever. He has cancer now and they probably won't have him too much longer, but the poster said he was so glad they had found Sammy and had given him 3 good years in a good home and would go back to a shelter to adopt their next family member.
I remember this young family and their interaction with Sammy. I also remember how gentle he was with the child, who was a baby at the time. Some people had reservations about Sammy going home, but I never did. I am so glad his senior years were spent with a loving family and so glad they felt they made a great decision when they brought him home.
They loved him and cared for him for three years and he did the same. Rest easy Sammy. You were one of the lucky ones and I am glad I knew you for the short time I did.

Comments

Popular Posts