When all the stars align

One of the most rewarding jobs I do is matchmaking people with the perfect pet for them. I loved it when I was a volunteer and still do it as much as possible as an employee.
You get to meet and interact with some very nice people and help them find the perfect pet for them.
Many people come into a shelter looking for a specific animal. It could be a breed, a size, a cat-friendly dog and the wish list can be long. Sometimes we have just the dog they are looking for, but sometimes we don't. When that happens I always tell them to just keep looking because the perfect pet is just around the corner and could show up on our doorstep at any time.
On Saturday a nice woman and her son came in the shelter just looking. They had in their mind a Benji type dog who would be medium-sized and good with the family. We, unfortunately didn't have any Benji type dogs left in the shelter but we did have one small, terrier mix puppy who no one had adopted.
She was so good in the room with the young boy and all he kept saying was, "Mom, she is pefect. I love her." When Mom explained that Dad and sister must also love her, the young man assured Mom they would.
The puppy went on hold for Dad and sister to come back on Monday. The last thing the Mom said to me was, "Well, she is not like what I thought we would adopt or what we were even searching for, so I don't think we found her. I think she found us."
What a perfect ending to the day. All the stars lined up and a puppy found a new family.

Comments

Popular Posts