Dogs with jobs

I remember reading an article several months ago which talked about how humans had changed the relationship they had with their dogs. Dogs had become more members of the family and less workers. Many breeds of dogs continue to do both, like herding dogs such as the border collie.
A friend sent me the following article from MSNBC about dogs which are now guarding a state prison. These dogs would have been euthanized in a shelter environment because they were judged to be mean, and a threat to public safety. Now they live in a kennel and guard the prison.
It is an interesting story and although I would like to think we all treat our animals like members of the family, I know this is not the case in many instances.
So I think using these dogs in this way makes a lot of sense, and it saves the dog's life in the process.
What do you think?

Comments

Popular Posts