Dealing with a daily pill

One of my dogs from years past was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. This required me to give him a little blue pill every day for the rest of his life. The pills were not expensive, only about $9.00 a month and Jasper took them with no problem.
Hypothyroidism is more common in dogs than you would think. You can check out the description, signs and treatment here.
The reason I am writing about it now is a situation with a shelter dog who was recently diagnosed with the disease. He was about to be adopted when the man found out he would be responsible for giving the dog a pill every day. He was not concerned with the cost but was concerned because he had problems taking his own pills and now he would have to remember to do the same for this new dog. He wanted to be fair to the dog and left to think about whether he could handle the situation, along with printed information about the disease for him to read.
Although I was very disappointed, I understand his first thought was for the dog. If he ultimately decides this particular dog is not for him, I will be okay with that. He is 85 and seems pretty responsible. On the other hand, if he decides to adopt this dog, I feel pretty good about that too, because he has made a rational, informed decision and I am sure the pill will be given out every day.
Here's to crossed fingers.

Comments

Popular Posts