Saying goodbye to my best friend

He came to me as an 8 week old puppy, full of kisses and puppy breath. He was the first dog I owned who was totally and truly mine.
The first time he rolled on his back and screamed in pain, my heart broke. He was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia at 9 weeks old. I was told he would suffer his whole life and should be humanely euthanized then. But I wouldn't listen. He had to have different drugs his whole life to have a quality of life, but he had a great life.
For the past 11 years he has been my constant companion. He was with me through all the highs and lows in my life. He was my sounding board and always tried to do everything I ask of him even up to the very end.
He would wag his little nub of a tail and rub his face all over you. I taught him to pull the dead palm fronds off the trees so I didn't have to hire someone to cut them. Every day I ask him to guard the house and not let any bad people in. He was subjected to my bad moods and varying animals and people who came to my house, but never once complained.
On Tuesday night when I arrived home from work, he didn't greet me at the door. He could not get up from his bed. His legs were not working. It took me a while to get him up and outside to potty, but when he did he breathed a huge sigh of relief. I gave him 3 times his normal dose of pain medicine but even that amount didn't help.
By Wednesday morning, he wouldn't rise at all and his soulful brown eyes looked at me as if to say, "I am trying Mom, but the legs just aren't cooperating."
I made the decision then and Junior was laid to rest yesterday. He went very easily with me holding his head and sobbing all the while.
Of course the tears of flowing as I type this, but at some point my heart will open up to another homeless animal and I will become a 2 dog household again. Until then, my fat old hound dog, Gypsy, will keep me company and be my companion.
Rest easy Junior. You were so very loved.

Comments

Popular Posts