Shooting the Breeze by Baxter

Hello. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Baxter and I am a Sharpei. I am a sanctuary dog and live at a place called Satchel's Last Resort. I will tell you a little about myself since I have been asked to do a column about the comings and goings at the place where I live.
I used to be a pampered pooch, as many shelter dogs are and until I was about 4 years old, I had a mistress who gave me the world. I loved her, but was not too fond of her family. When the time came for them to move into a new house, she was told either I go, or they would. Can you imagine putting her in that spot? She chose them and not me.
She could not imagine taking me to a shelter, so she left me at the vet's office, where the nice people who run Satchel's came to pick me up.
They noticed I was limping and ask about my rear leg. The vet said it was fine and there was nothing wrong with it. They thought I might be in some pain since I was limping, and maybe the pain was the reason I had been so grouchy with the other family.
So off I went to another vet who pronounced one of my rear legs was shorter than the other and I was in considerable pain. This could not be fixed so I began receiving adequan shots and the difference in my personality was immediate. No pain, no grouchiness. The difference was so great, the people at Satchel's called my old owner and explained to her what had happened. She came to see me. I was so excited to see her. She was excited to see me too, and could not get over how well I was doing. She left with promises to come back the next weekend and get me. She never did. So this is my home now.
I was 10 years old in April. My leg still bothers me sometimes, but I get medicine. I am pretty pampered here, since I have been here 6 years. No one wants to adopt me, so to make sure I never have to be in pain again, I get to live here in my kennel. It isn't quite the same as a home, but they love me and take care of me. Who knows? Maybe someone will see my gorgeous face and decide they want to give this old gentleman a home. Nothing would please me more.
Until next week, when I bring you the lastest and greatest news from Satchel's, please support your local shelter or rescue. Most are overflowing with deserving pets who are not as lucky as I was.

Baxter

P.S. This is Prince. He is one of those deserving dogs I was talking about. He is a senior and lives in the kennel at the end of my row. He seems nice, is housebroken and wags that little nub they call a tail every time someone comes up to him. I heard his owner didn't have time for him any longer. How much time does a dog take when they have reached their golden years and like to lay around alot? I have never even heard him bark. He is pretty laid back from what I can tell. Someone told me he was between 10 and 12, but I heard a volunteer say he sure had pretty teeth for a senior. You should check him out at http://www.satchelslastresort.com/. Once again, thanks for reading. I will be back next week.

Comments

Popular Posts