The pitbull battle rages on

Before I began volunteering for animal rescue, I didn't notice stories about animal bites as much as I do now. I think it was because the rules around dogs which my parents pounded in my head I have always followed and have never had a dog bite me since I was 7. My father yelled at me, not the dog, because I was doing what he had told me never to do. I was messing with the dog around the dog's food dish. Daddy thought the dog had a right to eat in peace and not have kids messing with him when he was trying to eat.
In the last 5 years, I have noticed these stories more and more and once again I am going to go on record saying it is a sensationalism factor the newspaper's use to attract readers. Pitbull attacks sell and mixed breed dogs don't.
All dogs will bite given certain situations. All children should be instructed in how to behave around a strange dog, or for that matter, a companion dog. These are dogs, not children, and react to different stimuli than humans do.
The minute they begin trying to take my dog, simply because of the breed, is when I am hitting the streets in protest. Most of these sensationalized stories are simply that, sensationalized.

Comments

Anonymous said…
When you hit the streets, you will have many supporters with you.

Popular Posts