Hoping to save them all

I receive many, many emails from different rescues across the United States hunting for homes. Many are special needs dogs and cats, who for one reason or another have lost their way. Just as many are perfectly normal dogs and cats who's owner has decided they are of no value to them anymore.

These animals can and are transported across the United States by individuals who, like me, believe we can save them all, even when we know we are faced with a daunting task. These rescuers normally are in the background and have no desire for anything but the thanks of a wagging tail or a purring voice.

I believe the problem I have is the number of people who come forward to adopt an animal after a news story, or a huge closure of a puppy mill. I cannot help but wonder why they have not visited their local shelter and adopted before the news story broke. Several weeks ago there was a huge puppy mill which was raided and many of the animals found themselves needing homes. The lines in front of shelters to adopt these animals were long and everyone interviewed said they were sad and felt they needed to give a home to these guys.

I know these animals needed homes. My question is, "Where were these people for the thousands of other homeless animals who live in rescue groups and shelters and have for months at a time?" Are they not just a valuable as a companion?

I have a friend who says there are 2 types of people in this country. People who do good and people who are do-gooders. I believe the do-gooders are there for the animals for only a short time. I hope I am wrong.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'll have to get myself an Identity so I'm not always Anonymous... but I wanted to say that whenever I've posted a comment on a news story about this, I say the same thing in very polite terms.

I think people want to be a hero and have a story to tell others, that is why they come forward after these animal-mill stories. When one particular animal is highlighted in a news story for some reason, I think that the same thing happens but on less of a scale and I'm sure the shelter/rescue is on the look out for any suspect adopters for this special animal. Unfortunately most people don't realize that they can still be a hero and have a story to tell with any animal adopted, Rocket and Mason is just one example. It is kind of like giving blood - everyone needs it, it saves lives, but you don't get anything back but a cookie, a glass of juice, and the good feeling that you've helped someone.
Anonymous said…
Why can't we just focus on the fact that there are people coming forward to help these mill animals rather than tearing them down???? See the good, that's what I try to do. Be happy that they are helping at all. Awareness is key and lifting these people up and championing them is what should be happening, not tearing them down and putting them on the defensive or making them feel like they aren't doing enough. Get off your high horse.
Anonymous said…
anonymous #2-
I agree that looking at the positive is important and you bring up a good point about that. Without these potential adopters coming forward after one of these mills are discovered, there wouldn't be enough new homes for these new pets.

I guess that sometimes I get a little discouraged after volunteering at a shelter or rescue and day after day, sometimes for a year or more, you see the same faces peering out at you and you can't understand why these animals haven't found a new home, then all of a sudden all these people come out of the woodwork to adopt an animal when it is a big media story. But I wouldn't give up volunteering even with the bad days as I get such a joy out of interacting with the animals.

Can we both agree that every animal deserves the best chance at life no matter where they come from or end up?
I agree with you both. I really did not mean to infer that all people who lined up to adopt the puppy mill dogs did not have an honorable thought in doing this, although I have seen the "look at me and what I have done" when in two weeks, the animal ends back at the shelter because it wasn't what they really wanted.

But Anonymous 2 also has a very valid point. What of the dogs who spend months on end waiting for their special someone to come and rescue them? Are they not just as valuable a life as the puppy mill dogs who are so wanted? That is what bothers me. Just the number of folks who come out to adopt the mill puppies and leave the other sitting in kennels, day after day, longing for their chance at a permanent home.

Championing or building up someone who adopts an animal, any animal for selfish reasons that don't concern the animal will never happen on my part.

Popular Posts