Economic tragedy

I just got back from a quick weekend to the other coast. I try and visit other shelters when I am in a different spot to see what is working, or what they do that can be incorporated in what I do when I volunteer.

Unfortunately, the shelter I chose to visit is in the process of perhaps closing their doors. Everything was clean and the dogs and cats seemed happy, but there were empty kennels with no animals. I wondered since the economy is so bad, and so many shelters are overrun with animals right now, how it was they had empty ones.

It was explained to me they had simply no funds. They could accept no more animals because there were no funds to feed anyone else. They were trying to get their last animals adopted so they could continue a fundraising campaign to raise enough money to keep the doors open and begin accepting animals again.

In a case like this it is the animals who suffer or are assured of euthanization because there is simply no place for them to go and no money to care for them. How sad.

Comments

Popular Posts