Make my day (I'll find out tomorrow)

Today is scheduled to be a beautiful day. Perfect September weather on the Gulf coast of southwest Florida to relax and enjoy your weekend.
If you find you need a companion to share the weekend with, please visit your local animal shelter or rescue. If you don't find what you are looking for, visit the next on on your list.
Although the economy is impacting many animals' lives because of their humans, there are many people who still believe when making a committment to an animal, it is for life. If you are one of those lifetime committment people, a shelter in your area would love to introduce you to some of their resident dogs and cats who desperately need a permanent home.
Shelters and rescues are also affected by the economy. Not only are they receiving more animals, they are receiving less money, less donations of dog food and kitty litter.
The #1 need for most shelters and rescues are ADOPTERS. They are all still bursting at the seams with dogs, cats, puppies, kittens, rabbits and pocket pets.
Please make it a good day for the animals. Opt to adopt from your local shelter or rescue. Find a new lifetime best friend.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi, Jean.
Sometime in the future would you consider doing a post on pocket pets? As one who owns a small herd of guinea pigs (small = 3) 2 adopted from Critter Corral in Chicago and 1 from HSSC, there are misconceptions about how much care these small animals (rabbits, GPs, hamsters, ferrets, etc.) need. They are socialable and get lonely; they have a special diet (Guinea pigs are the only other mammal other than humans that cannot produce Vitamin C and need to get it from their food which is why you can't feed them rabbit food); sometimes they need a bit of grooming like trimming nails; they get sick and need to go to a vet; if your kid wants a puppy, a pocket pet isn't always going to be a good substitute because they aren't going to react like a cat or dog and your kid will probably lose interest you will be the one to change the cage anyway; rabbits and guinea pigs (I don't know about ferrets) can live 5+ years (2
of mine are 6+); you CAN move with these animals- my 2 older guinea pigs have traveled the midwest and lived in Chicago, Phoenix and now Florida and they drive (well, I actually do the driving) from FL to NM and back each summer; and the list goes on and on.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is pocket pets are pets too and deserve the same amount of care and attention as cats and dogs. For those of us who aren't in the position of being able to have a cat or dog, sometimes these smaller animals can provide the love and satisfaction of owning and caring for an animal. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to take care of a pocket pet, just a little effort and research and these small animals will give you lots of joy. I have even taken my old female to a nursing home to pass that happiness to someone else (the therapy dog couldn't go with our group that day so I grabbed the next best thing, my fat guinea pig).

I might as well sign my name as certain people at HSSC who might be reading this could pick me out as I'm the one who adopted Patches the guinea pig last week (he is CRAZY! but a good crazy) and have probably heard me talk about my other two senior guinea pigs.

Keep up the good work on the blog!

-Laura
Hi Laura,

Thanks for reading. I, of course, will do a story on pocket pets. Most people have no idea what I am speaking of when I talk of them.
I just began my new job today, so it will take me a few days to get back organized so keep your eyes peeled and I will get to it soon.
I think I will address each one differently, since they can be so different in care. I found that out when I found out about degus, when 44 of them were dropped at the HSSC. BTW, we still have gerbils also. Just in case you know someone who is looking for a small pet.

Jean
Anonymous said…
Ah yes, the degus. Definately some info on those little guys would be very interesting. I remember seeing them on the HSSC website. No hurry, just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Good luck at your new job!
-Laura

Popular Posts