Real life mimics movie

Okay! My secret is out. During the holiday I watch all the sappy Christmas movies on the Hallmark Channel and Lifetime. I can't help it. I love Christmas movies.
When I saw the listing for "A Dog Named Christmas" I had to watch it. What better to watch on Christmas day than a movie about dogs, especially one named Christmas.
The movie is about a developmentally disabled teen whose father will not allow him to adopt a dog, but when the local shelter sponsors a foster program called "Adopt a Dog for Christmas" hiw father agrees to let him bring the dog home until December 26.
I thought while I was watching the movie how great that would be to have a program in this area which would allow people to take a senior pet or one which was very young, home for the holiday. The thought is the foster family would then fall in love with the animal and the animal would not be returned, but the adoption would be finalized.
This morning I was scanning the news and discovered there really is a program, called "Foster a Lonely Pet for the Holidays." The program was started after one of the co-founders of Petfinder saw the same movie and now 1,500 shelters participate each year.
I was happy to see that. You can check out the story here.

Comments

Popular Posts