Charging dogs don't always mean certain death

Although I disagree with the man who shot the dog in Manatee County, I was not there so cannot comment on if he was truly in danger.
I can comment about the circumstances involved. Everyone should know tethering, whether by chain, rope, or clothesline creates fear and aggression in dogs. I once knew a Golden Retriever who had been chained out for 4 years. No one could handle the dog. Golden Retriever rescue would not even try to find a foster home and the dog, who was a beautiful animal, was euthanized. Tethering is not breed specific in the behaviors created when an animal lives its' life on the end of a chain. This is a proven fact and is why many communities have laws against the practice.
I can also comment on the practicality of carrying a loaded gun on a walk with your dog. Then I can ask the questions, "If the dog was attacking, why was he shot in the rear end?" and "If you truly felt in danger, why did you walk by a known, chained dog?"
I can interject my thoughts of what could have happened. I think this man probably walked his dog this way every day. I think, due to the dog being chained, his frustration level rose to the point he finally broke loose. I think the reason the man had the gun with him is because he knew the dog was becoming frustrated and wanted to make sure he had the gun in case the dog did.
Thank God the deputies were there to put the dog out of his misery so he would not suffer.
Another tragic ending with a dog in a no-win situation.
You can read the story here.

Comments

Popular Posts