Does your dog prefer inside or outside?

When I purchased my house, I did it for my dogs. The house included a fabulous, huge back yard with a privacy fence and lots of native vegetation. I could just see my rottis, Junior and Jessie enjoying the yard. That never happened. They were both inside dogs and preferred to only leave the comforts of the house when absolutely necessary. I have come to realize since then that there are some dogs who simply prefer being inside and some who prefer being outside. I have been known to say since then, that I was the only one who really enjoyed being outside.
When I adopted Buzz, who is the ultimate Florida Brown Dog, I was sure he would prefer outside. Wrong again. Buzz, for being a throwaway, junkyard dog, wants to be in the house, on his orthopedic bed with the air conditioning on. He patrols the fence line twice a day, takes care of his business and is back at the door asking to come in.
Then I adopted Betty. After three weeks I am finding Betty is an outside dog. She has been given an orthopedic bed and all the creature comforts Buzz has, but given a choice, she is outside, laying in the grass, watching the world go by.
If she even feels the air move because I am up, she is at the sliding glass doors, tail wagging, smile on her face. Once outside, she is in her element. She checks each tree for squirrels, sniffs every bush for rabbits, checks each gate to see if it is open, and then finds the sunniest spot in the yard and lays down. Once laying down, her nose is in the air just waiting on some unsuspecting critter to set foot in her yard so she can chase it. Because of her love of the backyard, I sometimes have to walk to where she is at and remind her I was calling her to come inside.
I am not even sure if she will be happy inside during the heat of summer but that is okay with me. I am also an outside creature, just of the human variety.

Comments

Popular Posts