So many homeless animals, so few homes

Every day I post animals. I post them on Facebook and on my blog. I post dogs, cats and pocket pets. I post news stories about animals.
Every day I read horror stories. Stories of cruelty and neglect from owners and shelters alike. I read countless accounts of hoarding, abandonment and euthanasia numbers which are simply not imaginable.
I see dogs I would adopt in a minute if I only had the time to spend with them. I, sadly, am only one person. I work, I try and keep my house up. I try to spend quality time with friends and have a well rounded life. I volunteer at a shelter. I have two dogs which take up the rest of my time.
I know I cannot have more than two dogs. More than two and I am overwhelmed. I am only one person.
There are so many homeless pets out there now. So many dogs and cats who have been abandoned by their owners. So many puppies and kittens who were born because they had irresponsible owners. So many animals which ended up in a shelter situation many times for no other reason than the owner doesn't want them any longer.
Humans can make all the excuses they want. They are moving, having a baby, have no time, it is not fair to the dog to leave them alone for 8 hours and the list goes on and on. Most people don't even try to make up a good excuse, but just dump off an animal and walk away.
So if you want to make a difference, please consider adding another pet to your home. Shelters and rescues are full to the brim with animals who just need a second chance. They are available in all shapes and sizes and if you look, I am sure you can find one who will fit in. Please be a responsible human and opt to adopt, not buy.

Comments

Popular Posts