Watching the old friends

I was watching my seniors last night while I was watching television. Both were sleeping on the couch together, snoring and I thought about how special they both are.
Although I have had Junior since he was a pup, Gypsy only joined my family a few months ago. Seniors are the way to go for busy households, or for any households as far as I know.
They greet me in the morning with wagging tails to go outside, and greet me in the afternoon with wagging tails to go outside.
They sit patiently waiting to be fed and in Gypsy's case, follow me around the house with a constantly wagging tail.
There is no chewed furniture or urine-soaked carpet. In fact, the only time Junior has ever gone in the house was when we first moved in and he dutifully marked his territory. It only happened once but the unfortunate part was his choice of rooms. My son, who had stacks of LP's for his dee jay jobs, did not think it was funny. (I did)
Both of them are over 10 now and although I could lose them at any time, the love I have for them and they for me will never be replaced. Unfortunately, but fortunately for me, there are a wide choice of senior dogs, 7 years and older at most humane societies. They seem to value the elders much more than humans do.
If you don't want the hassle of training and would like to give some senior pets a loving home for however many years they have left, contact the HSSC at 955-4131 and ask about their senior program. They have lots of dogs and cats, 7 years and older available who would love to come home with you.

Comments

Anonymous said…
A colleague of mine adopted a senior from a shelter in the Lakeland area where she lives over the summer. She says that she never thought she could love another dog like she loved her last one, but she is absolutely crazy about this new-to-her "puppy". I think the dog was even written up in an article about senior pets who are adopted.

Popular Posts