Pit Bull Awareness Day

In the daily fight to educate people about the most maligned dogs in the country, I totally forgot to mention this past Saturday was "Pit Bull Awareness Day". This may have been because a) I was working and totally exhausted when I got home and b) because I am beginning to sound like a broken record about this breed.
The truth is, most educated people know about this breed. They know about their loyalty and what smart dogs they are. They also cannot believe the reputation after either knowing a pit bull or owning a pit bull. It is the uneducated I am after, and they don't tend to read anything that is positive about the breed. But, if I can convince only one person to give these dogs a chance, that is one more life saved.
I had the pleasure of meeting the board of directors from the Humane Society of the Nature Coast this past spring at the HSUS Expo in Orlando. It seems from this column by their executive director, we are on the same path. (click on the headline to go there)
It has a lot of the same information I have been posting for the past two years. Check it out and have all your friends do the same. It is an educated, researched article and I am glad to see a semi-local newspaper (the Tampa Tribune) allowing a humane society to run a column, especially one on pit bull dogs.

Comments

Popular Posts