Pocket pets part 4: rats or mice

In my ongoing educational series on pocket pets, I will now discuss what may be my least favorite pet. Rats and mice give me the heebie jeebies when I even think about picking one up. This doesn't mean they don't make great pets for the right person. Just they would not be the right pet for me. I am also speaking of domestic rats and mice, not the ones who live in the palm trees.
As with all pocket pets, if children are involved, their parents must monitor the care of the rat or mouse and make sure they are being cared for properly. They are social creatures and live with others well, so adopting them out in pairs is the best way to go. According to some literature I have read, rats can even be housebroken.
They do have a reputation for carrying disease, but this is unfounded. The Plague which raced through Europe was blamed on rats, when the truth is, the Plague was carried by fleas on the rats, not the rats themselves.
There are a multitude of sites devoted to rat and mice owners. This one has some pretty good information, but make sure you do your homework before you decide these might make a perfect pet for you.

Comments

Popular Posts