Dogs with issues

The truth in most shelters, even those listed as no-kill shelters are dogs with issues are euthanized. In some, it doesn't really even matter what the issue is, simply the shelter does not believe the animal can be rehabilitated to live in a family again.
Before I begin, let me say I am not talking about health issues, when an animal is suffering and there is no hope. My issue is with behavior issues. Most shelters do not address behavior because of money, staff or the fear of liability, or sometimes I believe, because they are not educated in the strides which have been made in rehabilitation.
You only need to watch the numerous specials on animal behavior, or see the dogs taken from Michael Vick's property or even speak to a person who has adopted an issue animal, worked through the issue and now cannot stop bragging about what a great dog they have.
There is a collar which hangs on my rearview mirror with a set of tags. The collar came from an issue dog. He never bit anyone, he loved me, he was a great dog, but he needed an experienced handler. He didn't get one and was destroyed because of his snapping issues. I carry his collar to remind me every day to read more, educate myself more, try harder to convince the public to educate themselves and their children and most of all, promote people who feel the same way I do.
Of course, the truth is many more dogs will die before the public educates themselves. Most of us are a little on the lazy side. We want a dog who just goes with the flow. A non-issue animal. There is nothing wrong with that. There are thousands of animals born every day in the United States that are happy, healthy fun dogs who make great pets. I just want people to think about it. The more educated we become, the more we work on finding homes for these issue dogs, the less euthanasia happens. And I am all about stopping the senseless killing of companion pets due to ignorance and laziness.

Comments

Popular Posts