Pocket pets: part 5, rabbits

Some 40 odd years ago, I received a white rabbit from my first boyfriend for Valentine's Day. His family lived out in the country and he presented me with a small bunny I promptly named Snowball. (original, I know, but I was 11 at the time)
Our family dog, Blackie, would not allow Snowball to live in the house so my father built a hutch and I was responsible for feeding and exercising Snowball, who had the whole backyard to play in every afternoon. She grew to be a fat and healthy rabbit and I loved her dearly.
When my father received orders for his last tour before retiring, we had to move and my parents made the decision that I could not take Snowball with us. They contacted my boyfriend's parents, and Snowball went back to Evans, Georgia to live out her life at his house. I cried and cried, but kept in contact with Mike through the years and she lived a good life and is buried on his property.
Rabbits make great pets, can be litterbox trained and are simply adorable creatures. They need to be handled and exercised though, and not kept in a hutch for days on end. Parents should not let children sway their decision to buy a rabbit, because just like any other pet, they need care. There are rabbit rescues all around if you decide this is the pet you want. You can check out the list here along with tips or visit your local humane society.

Comments

Anonymous said…
House Rabbit Society (www.rabbit.org) is a great organization with chapters/rescues all over the country. Their website is a good resource for information on rabbits.

Here's to the ears!!

-Laura

Popular Posts