Is it really the economy?

Over the last year, I have been in contact with several different rescues and shelters. The ebb and flow of animals entering the animal welfare system is high, but I don't believe from my observation, it is any higher now than a year ago.
This may be because euthanasia rates are up, but once again, shelters and rescues, even those classified as no-kill are not going to release that data unless they are public, because they don't have to.
Because of this, the public has no real knowledge of just how many animals come in the system, or how many go out. One thing I have learned over my many years of dealing with business is numbers can and are manipulated so things either look worse than ever, or better than ever.
I believe the economy is being used as an excuse in many cases. Now, don't misunderstand what I am saying, I do see animals coming into the system who have been abandoned by their owners. I see them come into the system in such bad shape from neglect, I wonder why people even own pets to begin with. The thing is, most people I have seen, would not part with their companion for any reason short of death.
I have heard the moving excuses and the ones related to allergies, excuses about boyfriends or girlfriends, divorces and size. Now people have another excuse to add, the economy. I can't afford the food, or the shelter or the medicine, or some other reason and the dogs end up in a shelter.
I believe shelters should be exactly what they are: a temporary home for an unwanted animal. the key word here is temporary. When a person dies, or goes in a nursing home or a true case of affordability are all valid reasons to give up an animal. The nuimbers show that is not the case for most of these animals. Shelters and rescues become a dumping ground where people can drop off discarded companions and use any excuse which makes them feel less guilty.

Comments

Popular Posts