Fostering success

I will soon be having my first birthday. My name is Donegal and I have been told I am a very lucky kitty. I was born at the Humane Society of Sarasota County with my brothers and sisters. Shortly after our birth, we were moved into a wonderful foster home.
We received all the love and attention we could handle and food we could eat, but there was a problem. My foster mom noticed I was small and not gaining weight. The kennel staff was notified immediately. You see, we had to get on the scale everyday. I became ill and the wonderful staff at the shelter sent yucky medication home for me. I did not like it one bit, but had to take it. My chances of surviving were very slim.
When it was time for my brothers and sisters to go back to the shelter and find forever homes, I was at a loss. I could not go back because I was still too small. You see, even in the kitty world there are bullies. I was the runt of the litter and was treated as such by my family. My mom really tried but just could not keep up with all of us.
That is when my friend Tank, a male Bermese cat stepped in. He taught me about cleaning myself and using the litter box. Tank became the dad I never had and for this I am a very greatful kitty.
Without the wonderful shelter staff and their dedication to each and every animal, I would not be here today. Their foster program is A #1 and so is the care we receive there. My foster mom Cindy, was great, and now I am in my forever home.
As I celebrate my first birthday, I am asking if you have it in your heart check on the foster program with your local shelter. It is a life changing experience for everyone.
Oh yeah, and instead of sending me a present, please donate a $1.00 to Jessie's Fund at the Humane Society Of Sarasota County. That is the fund to take care of the old cats' (and dogs')adoption fee. You can call them at 955-4131 or pay on their website at http://www.hssc.org/.
By the way, I went from under a pound to 10 pounds of healthy kitty.

Donegal

Comments

Popular Posts