Setting an example that lasts a lifetime

My parents taught me many things. Most of those morals and ideals are ingrained so deep in my brain I simply react without thinking about what I am doing. Growing up I was always allowed to question my parents on why they did the things they did and reacted the way they did.
With the passing of my Mom a little over a week ago, I am at a new beginning in my life. That is a life without either of my parents. Although many of the things they taught me will remain unmentioned, the love of animal I was a witness to my whole life is the one thing I carry on, with them always on my mind.
We always had pets, most of the time dogs, but I remember my first kitten when I was in fourth grade. I named her Alexandra because I was reading Nicolas and Alexandra at the time and I like the way the name sounded. She was a little grey tabby who wandered up in the yard. At the same time, we had a dog named Blackie, who was always with the family from the time he came to live with us until he died at 17.
There was a parade of other animals, most didn't live as long as Blackie did and although given the chance, I would have kept everything I brought home, Mom and Daddy's common sense always played out and a suitable home was found.
My first dog on my own was named Nicky and I still have a picture of he and I. Someone stole him out of my parents backyard while I was at work one day. When I married my first husband, I had several dogs who I found homes for when we split up except for Bigfoot, who was a big, shepherdy type dog and to prevent him from having to go to the pound, Daddy took him in along with Blackie and a one-eyed Pekingese named Ping.
My family dogs were always a part of the family. They were not banished to a yard, tied to a tree or anything like that. They slept in the house, had medical care, food and water and lots of love.
My parents set the example for pet owners. I simply follow what they taught me. If anyone who reads this will teach their children a love of pets, it is a lesson which lasts a lifetime. Teach them how to care for those less fortunate. My parents did and for that I will be eternally grateful. You are both together now with all our family critters watching out for me. Thanks Mom and Daddy. I love and miss you.


Comments

Popular Posts