The intrinsic value of volunteering

I returned to my first love today. I volunteered at Satchel's Last Resort after being away for almost seven months. Seven months away from some of the most wonderful dogs I know.
For two hours I walked dogs, snuggled with dogs, reacquainted myself with some old friends and met some new ones.
I traipsed through acres of wet grass, sat down and gave belly rubs and received lots of kisses. I met a wonderful new pup named Lucy, who is deaf. She is very young with the most gorgeous blue eyes. She is almost solid white with a couple of light tan speckles and some tan on her rump and tail. She is a little shy, but I am anxious to begin working with her to try and teach her some sign language for her adaptation to a new home.
I took Missy, who is a sanctuary dog for a long walk in the back acreage. She is a little old lady and must stop every so often to rest. Of course, once she stops she milks it for all it is work and collects in belly rubs and ear scratches.
All in all, I walked until I grew tired and am now making plans to go back next weekend and every weekend I can after that. You see, those dogs need us. They need to know someone cares about them. They need to be social with humans to make the transition into a home a little easier. They all have stories.
Every rescue dog comes from somewhere. At some point they were owned by someone. So we help reassure them they are still loved and wanted and we will find the right home for them.
If there was ever any doubt in my mind about volunteering, it was soon dispelled. Let the same thing happen to you. For an hour or two a week, you make an animal feel loved and needed. So please consider volunteering. The rewards are tremendous.

Comments

Popular Posts