Mandy: A dog with enough love to give everyone


When I first began volunteering with animals, it was with the Humane Society of Sarasota County. I was introduced to the shelter dog whose name was Mandy Sue. She had her own kennel in Pod 2 Row 1 and it was decorated for a queen.

A queen she was. Mandy befriended everyone and everything who ever came in contact with her, young and old alike.

Karen Symonds, the previous kennel manager, told me the story of how she came to the HSSC and what a fight she had when she began broaching the idea of Mandy becoming the shelter pet. How fitting a dog which had been overbred, of a disparaged breed (pitbull) and in poor shape to be used to represent what the shelter stood for. At the time, it showed it did not matter what condition the animal was in or what breed it was, but simply they were there for ALL the animals, not just some. This was when they actually had a shelter pet representative

I grew to love Mandy much like everyone else who met her. I remember early Saturday mornings when she breakfasted along with all the staff with a hefty plate of sausage gravy and biscuits during her morning time before the shelter opened.

When I lost two of my own dogs, she was there in her kennel. I climbed in beside her and she licked my tears away, as if to try and tell me they were in a better place and I would see them again.

After her "retirement" she went to live with a good friend who also knew her from the HSSC and had begun taking her home on weekends to get her out of a kennel and into a home.

I saw Mandy a week ago. I had gathered some donations for a garage sale to benefit her Mom's non-profit, Fairy Tail Endings. As Rhys pulled up, Mandy came out of the car with the same pep in her step as always. She ran into my arms and I gave her a big hug and received lots of sloppy, wet doggy kisses. She looked good. She looked happy which showed me the best decision had been made when she went to live with Rhys.

The photo of Mandy was taken by another friend who worked with me at the Sarasota Herald-Tribune and is now owner of his own bridal photography business, Chip Litherland. He took it for a story about the kids' programs at the HSSC. Mandy is slurping her way through all the kids. It is a wonderful photo showing her personality.

Rest easy now Mandy Sue. You hit the doggy lotto when you went home with Rhys. Remember us as we will remember you. There will never be another as special as you were to us.

Comments

Popular Posts