Update on Winter

For those who are regular readers of the blog, you know one of my project dogs, who I have been working with since I first became involved at Satchel's Last Resort, was Winter.
Winter was adopted from the Manatee County Humane Society as a puppy and returned a year later, extremely scared and shy, with no socialization at all. Manatee County Humane worked with him for a long time trying to get him to the point of being adopted, but in the end, placed him at Satchel's where many I am sure, thought he would live out his life.
When I began working with him, I couldn't get him out the front gate to go for a walk, much less down the road and across Clark Road. He balked at every rustle of the trees or car which came by. If a lizard scampered in front of him, his tail tucked and he was ready to run home to his crate and kennel.
I, being like I am, refused to allow him to be babied. I loved him, but every week kept trying to expose him to more and more. Once he trusted you, he was a wonderful, loving dog, who would run through the acreage and play hide and seek with you, complete with play bows and ears flying in the wind.
It is with much happiness but a touch of sorrow I must tell you Winter went to a permanent home tonight, with a new mom and a new sister named Butter. Someone besides those of us who love him and worked with him saw the great potential in this gentle giant and adopted him. He is now set to learn a whole new set of experiences. He started by running into the pool cage in an attempt to go outside. I am sure he has never seen a pool cage before, but I bet he will never run into it again. He is that smart.
I will miss his gentleness and his velvety soft coat which received many hugs and kisses from me. He will be fine and has received what those of us in animal welfare strive for each time we speak about rescue. He lived at Satchel's for 5 or so years but now he has the rest of his life with his own humans. There is already another one to take his place which is the saddest part of this whole story. Another unwanted, abandoned dog who needs a family.
We will find one for them.
Have a great life Winter. I will never forget you.

Comments

Popular Posts