Mutt Mutterings: the taste of freedom

Hi y'all. Buzz here.
Guess what, guess what? Can you guess what I am going to write about today? I have finished with my heartworm treatment and am free. I get to run and play in the yards without being on a leash. Do you know how great that makes me feel? Wonderful, happy, and very contented. Despite the fact I still don't have a home, I am a pretty happy boy.
I got another special bath this week. The staff had to scrub all the scabs off my back so my skin and hair could continue healing. I am not fond of baths, but having two women pay attention to me and scrub me all over was pretty nice, even if one was making faces. Then they turned on something called a dryer, which I wasn't too sure about, since the weather was cold and I have no hair on my rump. It is coming back in though and I will be quite handsome when it does.
Some new residents from Orlando came in last week. They are all pretty skinny and look like they could use some groceries, but one has already found a home. Her name was Cassey. The one they put on my row is so loud. His name is Steeler and he is part greyhound. He is very skinny, which I understand is part of his breed, but he is a young dog and will probably do pretty well in a new home.
The latest is the matchup of Boomer, an American Bulldog mix and Krystal, a Florida brown dog like me. Krystal never had a play buddy before, but she seems to really like Boomer. I think it is because she can boss him around. A couple of people looked at Krystal this week, but never came back to adopt her.
I think right now the dog with the worst luck is Gumbo. He is only 8 months old, still a pup, and he has been on hold for about a week. This means about 6 people were going to adopt him and they all fell through. He is a big, young goofball and I have no idea why people would put him on hold and then not show back up. He is a nice looking dog, big though, but will still probably find a home before I will.
I just don't understand it. I am a nice, mature dog. Medium sized and pretty well behaved. I don't know many tricks yet. I learned sit a couple of days ago. But I am smart, smart, smart and shouldn't have any problem picking up the training. I also don't expect too much. You see, when you come from circumstances like the ones I came from, you learn not to expect too much.
Of course, it is nice having a Kuranda bed. It is fabulous getting fed twice a day. I am never hungry now. My skin isn't so itchy and I don't have fleas or those fatty tumor things they took off my rump. I get lots of attention, but nothing would beat a real home with humans who loved me.
Well, freedom has a price. I am tired now from running and playing and sneaking out to the computer so I can send this to my friend. She tells me all the time if she didn't have two other dogs and could afford me, she would take me home. I am sure her dogs are very lucky. I have a feeling some of that luck will rub off on me and I will find a home soon.
Until then,
See ya later alligator, after while, crocodile,
Buzz

Comments

Popular Posts